Monday, July 22, 2013

A Quick Note: How we roll.


 Oh, hey!

I have a couple of friends asking me how I do it. How do I make motherhood look easy? Let's be blunt here. Instagram and Facebook is what makes me look like a "super mom". It's all pictures. No one sees the fits and tantrums behind those photos (well....since they DO have IG video now...), or those times I put Aubrey in a cute little outfit, only to have her take it apart moments after I take a  pic, all those messy cramped corners in our house full of junk, and the leftover fast food / take out containers we have in our kitchen because lets face it, who honestly has time to make a gourmet looking meal every. single. day?

I ain't a supermom and my husband and I definitely aren't superheroes (even though our daughter thinks we are) but even though it may not be easy, there are ways to make it a little bit easier.

Here are some tips and ideas we (try) to live by to make it all WERQ:

1. Never bring work home
 No matter how good or bad of a day I had, once I'm clocked out, I'm clocked out. Sure, I may get the occasional phone calls here and there (that's what voicemails are for) but once I'm with my family, my mindset completely changes. All my attention is focused on the kids and try to take advantage of the time I have with them. I always joke around with my other co-workers "Time to head over to my other job!" when I leave. Let's face it, being a mother IS a job, but, it's the best and most rewarding job out there!

2. Get out of the house. Do something. 
Unlike most people, I don't have the M-F 9-6 kinda job. My hours differ week by week and sometimes changes last minute. It's a curse (no set weekends) yet a blessing (hello weekdays off). At the beginning of each month, I plan 1 or 2 weekends off in advance so my husband and I can actually have the whole day together with the kids and go out and actually get to do things together on the weekends. Because, you know, isn't that what most families do?

 3. Get out of the state. 
Even though it gets stressful, its always nice to take a vacation somewhere. Gives you something to look forward to and though they're still too young to remember, gives the girls a change of environment.

4. Never feel guilty for wanting some ME time. 
Whether it be an hour, half a day, or even the whole day, do something on your own. On the weekends, my husband wakes up at 6am and takes a ride with his bike for an hour. That's his ME time. As for me, I do anything and everything. You'd be surprise what a trip to Target (alone!) can make you feel :)

5. Take care of yourself.
No really. You have to. I remember those times when I was so preoccupied with making sure both babies were fed, diapered, bathed, etc., I didn't get out of my pjs (and let alone eat) till 3pm! Its easier now, however, because Aubrey can eat on her own and I can place Dani on a highchair. We eat meals together and afterwards, I leave them in their play area or turn some cartoons on (Yes, I let my girls watch tv in moderation) while I get myself ready. During those times when a nap is much needed, I hope AND pray that both can sleep at the same time, even if it means laying some blankets down on the living room floor so we can all nap together. A cranky and hungry mom ain't fun for anyone.

6. Teamwork and Communication and Have a pseudo-routine. 
Two babies and a dog = double the mess...and a half. Bottles, toys, clothes - my husband is all about making sure we never let things slide otherwise it'll just be a disaster at our place. It's become such an unwritten thing really, how we go about our day to day routines here. My husband is a morning person. He wakes up early every morning and in an hour, has washed the dishes, taken out the garbage, made a Safeway run (milk, food, etc), and then some. I like to take care of things before I sleep, no matter how late it gets. I fix their diaper bag, lay out their clothes for the next day, clean their play area, prep our meals and etc. No matter which time of the day it is, we're always trying to get things done. It's the only way.
 
 6. You have to come to terms with reality.
Honestly, despite all that I've said and done, it's still and always will be a challenge. There are smooth days and there are even more not so smooth days. Maybe we've become a little bit immune to it over time but we really wouldn't have it any other way. It's the life we created and the life we live for.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment