Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Home: 10 mins. fix on a bookshelf

One of the things that's always on my to-do list is to organize the kid's play area and my props / craft supplies. It's something that I'm always putting off, however, because I can't seem to find a system that I'd be satisfied with. The bookcase in my daughter's play area belongs on that list. It holds a combination of their books and art supplies, as well as my own.

Lately, Aubrey has been climbing the shelves, trying to get to her art supplies on top. She also enjoys throwing it all over the place and at the end of the night, we're stuck trying to organize all her colored pencils / markers / crayons etc. back to their individual containers. Today I did a quick fix for it just to ease things up till I have time to take it all apart and re-organize.

Before:

Her art supplies were on the fourth shelf, paint tubes all the way on the top hidden from her (for obvious reason), and just one huge clutter in general.

After 10 minutes:

Rather than hide, I gave in and made a self-service arts and crafts area. All her colored pencils, crayons, and markers are separated by individual tins I had laying around. No more boxes to put them in. Coloring books and pads are on the same shelf. Meanwhile, all her painting supplies are in a clear bin so even though they're "hidden" from her, we know where they are and they aren't separated. Most read books are on the bottom shelf (bedtime books are now in her room). A couple of my art supplies are in the white box containers until they find a new home.

I'm sure we'd still have to straighten it up at the end of the night but at least it's not as cluttered and full as it looked before.

Any tips on how to organize your toddlers play area? Pls. share with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment